Strong rains and storms that have happened recently have caused a major concern for gardeners everywhere. The rain and the flooding that these are causing have brought a lot of damage on gardens. Plants have wilted and beds have been ruined. In order to help you out and get you started when it comes to getting your garden rebuilt, here are some tips and ideas that you can follow:
- Your first concern would be to assess the level of damage that your garden has sustained. What are the plants that were affected? Which ones would have to be replaced and taken out? Is there anything that you can do in the future to prevent any further damage to the place?
- Drain off any water that still remains on the garden. Some areas of the garden might still be waterlogged and it would be your task to drain the excess water there so you can work in the area properly. It would be hard working on a muddy garden and you probably won’t be able to do things right so it would be best to wait for a while until it dries out completely.
- Remove the plants that have wilted and died because of the flood. You should take note of the ones that cannot be waterlogged for a few days and stay away from planting those again in your garden.
- If you are using a raised bed then start rebuilding it. If it was completely submerged under water during the flooding then you might want to consider raising it even more. In case you would be raising the height of the bed, then you would have to use a stronger material for the wall.
- Put in the new plants that would take the place of the ones that were killed by the flooding. Make sure that you pick the kinds of plants that would be able to withstand being exposed to the water. There are many plants that have that characteristic.
- If soil was washed away from your garden, then this is the time to fill it back in. Make sure that you use rich garden soil for this purpose.
- Clean-up the surrounding area of the garden such pathways and decorations that might have been muddied by the dirty water. You should wait until the water has completely subsided before you do this step.
These are just some of the things that you can do to rebuild your garden after a flood. For more options, consider hiring a gardener through One flare.